Play responsibly in casinos
Playing in land based or online casinos is for many players a leisure activity. However, gambling can sometimes get out of control so players should pay close attention to the way how they play.
What is a gambling addiction?
There are many definitions of problem gambling. According to Wikipedia, the basic symptoms of gambling addiction involve the urge to play despite the awareness of the negative effects of gambling or the wish to stop playing.
The extent of a gambling addiction is individual, however some common symptoms of problem gambling can be observed. In analogy to the definition above, the first sign of a gambling addiction involves the inability to stop playing, even though the individual may be aware of his/her actions. These people may resort to the “just 5 more minutes” phrase or they will simply keep their hopes up that their streak of bad luck may come to an end within the next few rounds. However, if somebody is not able to stop playing immediately, then there is a high risk of a gambling addiction. The longer this syndrome pertains, the more serious the addiction can be.
The risk of being addicted to gambling cannot be determined in advance. However, it increases if someone has problems with alcohol, drugs or even video games (video game addiction is classified as a disorder by the World Health Organization) Problem gambling may also occur without any previous symptoms.
Some online casinos offer a test to determine the tendency to gambling addiction. Another way how to spot any signs of gambling addiction is to play games for free. This allows a player to determine the way how he/she acts while playing an online slot, however it must be noted that players may behave differently when they play for real money.
How to fight a gambling addiction?
The first important step towards overcoming a gambling addiction is to acknowledge the existence of a gambling problem. This must be followed by the willingness to take specific steps in order to fight the addiction.
- Monitor your behavior. Monitoring your own behavior is difficult and it requires a lot of self-discipline. Write down the time you spend with gambling along with your expenditures. Try to stop playing immediately or taking a long break from playing. If you are not able to do it, then you should think about the first steps how to fight these symptoms of problem gambling.
- Create a budget for gambling. Play strictly according to your budget. The budget for gambling is individual. However, it should not be any amount that would affect your ability to meet your financial obligations to various institutions, the family or other areas of life. It should be an amount of money that has no influence on the quality of your life or the life of the people close to you.
- Never borrow money for gambling. This is the worst case scenario that can cause very serious tragedies! Never borrow money for gambling no matter how strong your urge to play is going to be. Rather seek out help immediately in order to fight your gambling addiction.
- Do not rely on your luck. Never expect sudden good luck that will turn your situation around. The return rate of a slot or a casino game is always less than 100%. Someone may hit the jackpot from time to time, but it does not mean that you should invest a lot of money in gambling in order to boost your luck.
- Forget the idea of being a professional gambler. A “job” as a professional gambler is unreal. There are of course professional poker players out there who make a living from playing, but poker is also a game of skill and gambling is just a game of chance and nothing more. You are certainly not going to solve your financial problems by gambling, but you are going to make them much worse.
- Close your player´s account. Licensed online casinos offer players the possibility to close temporarily or permanently their players´ accounts. If you feel that you are losing control over your gambling, then closing your account is definitely a good idea, because once it has been closed for a specific or unlimited time period, it cannot be re-opened before the time for the closure has not expired.
- Seek professional help ASAP. It is not a sign of weakness to seek professional help, but it is actually a sign of inner strength. You can look for help on various pages which are going to provide you with the initial information what to do about your gambling problem. However, the best idea is to book consultations with a specialist.
Playing in online casinos should be about fun and your gambling habits must never put yourself or your relatives in any kind of danger. Play responsibly, because a healthy approach to gambling is the best way how to have a good time in online casinos.
18+ T&C apply | begambleaware.org | Play Responsibly. Deposit Bonus for new customers only, tiered on first deposit with wagering requirements. Free spins on pre-selected games and bonus offers are subject to change. See full T&Cs.